Thursday, September 15, 2011

What to do with starfish from beach?

I went on vacation to the beach and I found a starfish and took it to my hotel room, but I don't know what to do with it now. Will it eventually harden and die or do I have to bleach it or something? I heard somewhere that leaving it in rubbing alcohol for a day will work, but will change the color. Anyone know what to do?
What to do with starfish from beach?
Why did you do that?



That is illegal and selfish. Even if they don't exactly have nerves or know what is going on I'd still classify it as cruelty.



Edit: Starfish are NOT closer to mammals than any other species. They are actually quite distant. They aren't even vertebrates! Nonetheless, that doesn't make it okay to capture one.
What to do with starfish from beach?
The best way to preserve a starfish is to soak it in 70% isopropyl alcohol overnight. After doing this let it dry out real well on a paper towel, out in the sun if at all possible. You might also want to weigh down the legs so that it does not curl up as it dries.



after I suggest using it as a ninja star
You should put it back. Scientifically speaking they are closer to mammals than any other organism. Would you pick up a live bird to take it home and let it die so that you have a collector piece? Why would you want to do it with a sea star? It's not like you're going to eat it, keep it alive, or have any good use for it.