Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How bad is it to take a DSLR, that is not environmentally sealed, to the beach?

i know enough not to change the lens while standing on the shore but what about shooting subjects while standing in knee deep surf? i worry the salt spray will ruin my gear. what's the 'generally accepted' rule about bringing a DSLR to the beach?
How bad is it to take a DSLR, that is not environmentally sealed, to the beach?
You have to take as good a care of it as you would a fine watch.



I took a Nikon D100 with three lenses on a 9-1/2 week cruise through the Caribbean during hurricane season. Noting happened to it, however in the middle of gale force winds at 0300 with the mainsail torn, it was safely in my camera backpack below.



Just use common sense.
How bad is it to take a DSLR, that is not environmentally sealed, to the beach?
Some thing can go wrong any where . You have to take take your chances.
It is bad to take any camera to the beach



Sand and grit will always find a way into lenses or cameras.



Having said that I do this pretty often as part of my work.
Don't worry about it.

Just be careful not to drop your camera in the water and you'll be fine.



You already know better than to change lenses. You'll be just fine - just go have fun!
I take my nikon d90 to the beach all the time.....I get great shots there! Just don't roll around in the sand with it!