Saturday, September 24, 2011

How do I change my last name in Virginia Beach after marriage?

I immigrated to Virginia Beach a couple months ago, and married a couple weeks ago. I held off on applying for SSN and getting a new driver's license because I knew I would just have to go back and change.



Now I would like to get the ball rolling in terms of immigration paperwork (work permit, travel permit, etc.). I contacted the circuit court and they basically couldn't tell me anything. They mentioned I needed a petition and an order from a judge? When I asked them to elaborate they said they couldn't, as they were only court clerks and couldn't give %26quot;legal advice%26quot;. They said I would have to either pay a lawyer to change my name, or research it online on my own. I would have to do up my own orders.



I thought it was a matter of filling out the name change form on the website, having it notarized, paying the fee and it was done!



This is what I found online:



http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnextoid=鈥?/a>



I guess rules in Virginia Beach and Fairfax county are different from other places in Virginia.



I don't know how to go about getting an %26quot;order%26quot; or what that means as I'm not familliar with USA law - my wedding planner said I could take my ID, wedding certificate to the Social Security Admin and they could change it but that doesn't sound right...



Any suggestions? Should I go to a lawyer or use one of the online legal sites that prepares these forms?
How do I change my last name in Virginia Beach after marriage?
you need to take your mariage license and your id to the social security administration. there is a form there that you fill out and you will be given a new card (probably the same for your first card). once you have that, you can go to the dmv and get a new license with that name
How do I change my last name in Virginia Beach after marriage?
Say %26quot;I do%26quot; and apply for Social Security under your married name.
yes, you go to your local SS office and they will change your id, you can notify the dept of motor vehicles of your change and probably write every company you have done business with under your maiden name that there is a change