Saturday, September 24, 2011

Do you think that American mores/norms/folkways are changing regarding public nudity at places like beaches?

I realize that in the States, many if not most people do not approve of nudity at a public beach or a state/national park. However, I have noticed that if someone is nude and observes good time, place, and manner etiquette, that one can be free without hassle. For example, I have been nude at beaches in Galveston, where there are not many people in the evening, and have had no problems, People saw me and said nothing. I have done the same at beaches in South Padre during Spring Break - no trouble. Once, an officer told me to put my thong on - that's it. So, are Americans becoming more tolerant of non-sexual nudity in a natural setting after all?
Do you think that American mores/norms/folkways are changing regarding public nudity at places like beaches?
There are a few places here and there where it is either legal or illegal but allowed but overall I'd say no. For example, here in San Diego, CA we have Blacks Beach -- the longest nude beach in the world. While nudity is illegal here, it is completely tolerated. HOWEVER, if you were to go past the accepted limits of the beach (Mussel Rock to the north and the glider-port trail to the south) you will be ticketed. (Likewise if you're nude and go off into restricted areas or if you engage in sexual acts, of course).



The areas that are nude have been that way for a long time, in most cases. In the case of Blacks, it used to be legal and now it's tolerated but they rolled back the law that legally made it clothing optional.
Do you think that American mores/norms/folkways are changing regarding public nudity at places like beaches?
I do not think that a nude body is sexy or beautiful. I would never go to the beach with no clothes on. I feel much prettier in a nice fitting bathing suit.
Well seeing how you put it.....I guess so.