Saturday, September 24, 2011

Wearing tampons at the beach?

My friend and I have been planning to go to the beach tomorrow all week, and of course I got my period on Friday. I've had it for a little over a year and I've always used pads. I have tampons but I'm afraid to use them. Talking about this stuff with my mom is extremely uncomfortable. And could I wear one tomorrow for about 7 hours straight without having to change it? And what if the string pops out of my bathing suit?
Wearing tampons at the beach?
no, def wear one. you don't want to be in a pad at the beach, trust me. and the string won't pop out, you've got nothing to worry about!



you can wear a tampon for 7 straight hours, but you might have to change it depending on your flow. and i would practice at home first. it's really not bad. you just slide it in, and it shouldn't feel uncomfortable. the dryer your vagina is, the more uncomfortable it will be for you to put in. once its in, you shouldn't feel it. and dont flush them down the toilet lol, that would be embarrassing because it would clog it.



and you've got nothing to be afraid of. they are just absorbant cloth that will keep your girl problems secret. ( :



EDIT: the person who mentioned TSS (toxic shock syndrome) failed to tell you that its very, very rare. you really don't need to worry about that. that really only happens if you wear a tampon when you are NOT on your period, because it absorbes fluids that your body needs.
Wearing tampons at the beach?
You could very well wear one for 7 hours straight. If your flow is regular and not super heavy that is. I can go almost a full day without changing mine! Even just wearing a regular sized tampon. They are very absorbent. As for the string popping out I think you'll be fine, just check every so often
i thought they made ones for swimming look at some in the pharmacy
7 hours is around the MAXIMUM you want to have a tampon in for. It is best to change it a little more often. Just take your bag with you to the bathroom or sneak another tampon with you in your towel.

By having a tampon in for a long period of time (no pun intended), you run the risk of TSS or Toxic Shock Syndrome. This is increased significantly when your period is heavy.



Bottom line, change your tampon half way through your trip to the beach. That way, if it gets wet/dirty from the ocean or sand, you'll have a new one in.



Cheers.
Definitely use a tampon. You don't need to worry about the string %26quot;popping out.%26quot; Also, NO absolutely not. A tampon will NOT pop your cherry. You are more likely to 'pop your cherry' doing gymnastics than using a tampon. Yes, you CAN use a tampon for 7 hours, but that is the maximum, and depending on your flow, over a 7 hour time frame, you'll probably have to change it once- at the beginning, twice- in the middle, and a third time- after 7 hours... if that makes any sense. It might feel strange at first, using a tampon, that is. But, trust me, chances are you won't want to go back. As for tampon brands, I definitely reccommend Playtex Sport. I would also start out with regulars, but you may need supers considering you've had your period for a while and you want to wear one for seven hours. Other good, popular brands include Playtex Gentle Glid and Tampax Pearl. I would stick to these, although Playtex Sport is the best. But, when you're at the beach, don't think about it! Put in a tampon and have a good time! :) Hope this helps.