Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My 17 year old son has been invited to go on a beach vacation?

He will be going with his friend (18) his friend's girlfriend 17 and her 15 year old sister. The parents of the 18 year old boy would also be going. i am afraid it will put my son in the position to couple with the 15 year old girl. I don't like the idea, I said %26quot;no%26quot; and I don't plan to change my mind, so what do you think?
My 17 year old son has been invited to go on a beach vacation?
its a bit harsh, but i must admit i think you are 100% right that it will put him in the position to %26quot;couple%26quot; with the 15y/o sister and that is clearly not a good idea. you know what they would probably end up getting up to. because more than likely the parents on the trip will do there own thing while the kids go enjoy themselves, the teen couple will want alone time and your son and the 15y/o are left to entertain themselves together.
My 17 year old son has been invited to go on a beach vacation?
I think you absolutely made the right call.
I agree with you because letting him go will invite trouble. Stick to your guns.
I think that sometimes we have to let out children live. If the parents of the other people are going, then I would let my child go. Even if your son and the girl hooked up, there's not that much of an age difference. Maybe your son just wants to go and hang out with his guy friend, and doesn't want anything to do with the girl. In my opinion, I think that you should let him go. He's 17 years old, and hes not exactly a child anymore.
i agree! even though he may think is unfair its the right decision for his life, good job!!
Depends on how well you know the family and the girls. Does he know her? Do they have a platonic relationship. I had many platonic realtionships w/guys at that age. But it does sound a little awkward for him. Obviously they will be hanging out together; it's not like the sister is going to go off by herself. I think your reaoning is understnadable, but if you do want to give him the chanse to go, I would talk about this in great detail. good luck.
Alright letting him go may cause trouble, but if it will happen when he's away it'll only happen when he's home. i think you shoudl relax a little more and put a bit more trust in him, he is 17 and most probably to you he is still your little boy, but he probably would like a slight bit more freedom, think your decision over before you give him a straight no, there is nothing worse than asking a parent a question and straight away they say no, almost like they dont want to think about it. can be really annoying. just give him a bit more trust, he'll come back fine and he'll respect you for it. good luck x
Are there going to be any parents there? If there are, there's still a chance he could get into some trouble, but less of it.



I also think that now is a good time to have the birds and the bees chat with him. Even if you've had it before, make sure not to spare any of the details of incurable STD's and green penile discharge. And that oral sex spreads herpes and syphilis. Advise him that condoms break and child support averages $300-$500 a month. He doesn't have to know it's based on income.



Even if you still say no to the beach, he'll be finishing high school soon and this is good information for him to be refreshed on.
just let him go.

he is 17 you cant hold on to him forever just think. when you were a kid, and your mom dident let you do something wouldent you e mad. i would think twice.
i guess that was my first thought. i think that if my son were an all around good kid that trusts has to play a part in this. i think that by not allowing him to go, you are saying you do not trust him. if this 15 year old girl is his best friends', girlfriends' sister, then i think that he already has easy interactions with her. if he goes out of the house at any time, do you really know what he is doing or who he is hanging out with, unless you follow him around. i would say that trust is what is at stake. there is suppose to be a parent with them.
Gotta say no. You obviously don't know the Supervising parents well enough. And you obviously feel that your 17 yr old is already letting his hormones get the best of him so that you don't really trust him deep down inside.

Go with your Gut!
There is not much I can say if you don't change your mind regardless...but at age 17 you as his mom must know your son well enough to know if you can trust him.. I would also have some faith in the parents of the 18 year old friend.. they will be going also.. which if I had misgivings would make me change my mind.. they are not there unsupervised.. and quite apart from that. If your son wanted to really get together with this 15 year old girl.. he could not really be stopped because he could meet her maybe not on this vacation but he could if so inclined meet her after their return...and I think it is safer and better that he meets her when 2 adults are present at that holiday than meeting her somewhere after school where nobody is present ...So I would trust my son a bit and tell him to act responsibily...and tell him that I have faith in him and I hope he won't let me down.. at age 17 your son is old enough to know about safe sex....and maybe this 15 year old girl is not ready and just because she is 15 and her sister aged 17 has a boyfriend does not necessarily mean her little sister also wants to become intimate with a boy.. she may want to become friends and wait and nothing will happen and they will just be friend for one year and maybe then if they still care for one another this girl will be old enough also to know about the dangers of pregnancy if she does not practise safe sex... she will know all of that by now through her elder sister who i am sure likes to be with her 18 year old BF but has no intention of becoming a mother just yet so I am sure the 17 year old is taking precaution to prevent a pregnancy and your sons friend will have been tought by his parents to act responsibly and to make sure he does not become a father at age 18... If I was in your place I would invite your sons friend and girlfriend and his parents and discuss with them your concerns and this also would give you an opportunity to form an opionon about these people...Perhaps you will come to like them and they will make sure that nothing happens between your son and this young girl.. I would at least talk to them and after that based on the outcome of the discussion make my judgment but keep an open mind until then.

I am 45 years old so you are not talking to an immature teenager.. I am a middle aged woman and most likely a lot older than you are xx
I think you should let him go because if hes gonna hook up w/ the 15 yr old he will do it regardless of he go or not. You should be happy he told you about this cuz he could of just not mention the 15 yr old girl at all. So you should trust him and let him go and enjoy his teenage life!!
if you know the parents of the 18 year old and they're trust worthy, i don't see the problem...it's not like it's all teens